• 1 1⁄2 cups flour
• 3⁄4 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
• 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1 egg
• 1 cup raw beet, finely shredded
• 1⁄4 cup oil
• 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup other fruit juice
• 1⁄4 cup applesauce
• 3⁄4 cup pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 or 8 x 4 x 2) and set it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (except the nuts).
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the beet, oil, orange juice, and applesauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and mix until they are just combined.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of which will be used to coat chopped fruits
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 1½ cups of Milk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 3 tablespoons canola oil
• ½ cup dates, chopped
• ½ cup walnuts, chopped
• ½ cups dried cherries or dried cranberries or 1½ cups fresh pitted or 12 ounces frozen defrosted, chopped
Preheat oven to 425. Toss the chopped fruits with 1/4 cup flour, this will prevent them from sticking together. Mix milk, egg, and oil in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once. Stir until dry ingredients are moist but not smooth.
Mix in the dates and walnuts.
Fold in the cherries.
Fill greased muffin pan ⅔ full.
Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes, then remove them from the muffin pan and finish cooling on a baking rack.